error compiling gnome-libs-1.2.9

I am compiling gnome for FreeBSD4.4 using the 1.2.9 tarballs. No previous gnome
has lived on this particular system before. The building process will not get
past zvt though due to an undefined reference:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused -o .libs/zterm zterm.o .libs/libzvt.so -lz -lm -lutil
-lSM -lICE -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -lXext
-lX11 -lm -L/usr/local/lib -lgdk_imlib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk
-lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -lXext -lX11 -lm ../support/.libs/libgnomesupport.so -lz
-lm -lz -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
.libs/libzvt.so: undefined reference to `ALIGN'
 *** Error code 1

my question is--what is ALIGN and why is it not defined?  a recursive grep on
ALIGN from gnome-libs-1.2.9/zvt shows matches in the files subshell.lo,
subshell.o, and .libs/(libzvt.a, libzvt.so, libzvt.so.4) but no reference to it
is made in any text source-files that I could find. The only unusual thing I've
had to do in this building process is --disable-nls because I don't have
bindtext. It looks like I am missing a library or it's not being found,
but I have satisfied all of the pre-requirements and have built the
tarballs i lacked from the extra-source/ tree on ftp.gnome.org.

thanks
austin