Re: Numerous problems with Ximian/Helix Gnome on RH 7.0

> Has anyone else been having problems with the latest Ximian/Helix Gnome
> suite on RedHat 7.0?

No. I've been running Red Hat 7 and Ximian GNOME for quite some time, and
haven't come across any major problems. Note, however, that I'm mainly
using Red Hat 6 RPMs (we still have some Red Hat 6.2 installations, and I
saw no reason for downloading two versions of everything); most of them
will work on version 7 as long as you have the "compat" RPMs installed
(which is very likely if you have upgraded from version 6). The only
exception I can think of is gnome-core.

> I posted one problem already where child windows
> (IDL plot windows) didn't get focused unless one actually clicked the
> title bar, or tried to resize the window.

Sounds to me like a problem with the focus settings in Sawfish. Have you
checked "Focus Behaviour" under "Sawfish Window Manager" in the Control
Center? ("Dialog windows inherit the focus from their parent" seems
somewhat related to your problem.)

> In addition, twice today I had to restart X because all of a sudden I
> couldn't get menus to pull down on various X windows (i.e. I click on
> the file menu, it highlights, but the menu never drops down).  Actually
> this problem seemed to crop up shortly after I test-drove the newest
> version of Mozilla.

I've never seen that, but then again, I haven't tested Mozilla as such
(Galeon - http://galeon.sourceforge.net/ - is more usable.)

- Toralf