Focus on window with private color map

I recently upgraded to Ximian Gnome (1.2) on a RedHat 7.0 system.  I'm
mostly pleased, but have noticed a fairly undesirable feature. I use
RSI's IDL (Interactive Data Language) to produce plots.  IDL does not
play nicely with true color displays, and requires a private color map
when generating plots with standard 8-bit color tables.

Previously when I put my mouse over the plot window, it became focused
(since I have my WM set to do this), causing it to acquire its private
colormap, and screwing up everything else on the screen.  As bad as this
is, at least when my mouse was over the plot, it looked correct.

Now the plot window is not given its private colormap unless I actually
try to move or resize it.  I suspect this is something wrong with the
way IDL creates child windows, but I've even configured Sawfish to
"Give focus to windows even when they haven't asked for it" (this is a
"Focus" option in the Sawfish configurator), and I have the same
problem.

Any ideas?

-EJR