Re: Making Nautilus the default file manager.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 08:18:07AM +0530 or thereabouts, Archit Baweja wrote:
> Hi
>
> Well I thought that with Gnome 1.4, gmc would be nuked (forever). But as I
> have found, it is still there. And despite nautilus being there in the
> Gnome 1.4beta2, gmc is still the _default_ file manager which is started on
> startup. So how can I make gnome-session start nautilus from the beginning,
> and not gmc. Some configuration file? or something?

Gmc is the default for people who have already been using Gnome. If
it's a new account, then Nautilus will start. (I think.)

First kill off gmc, then start nautilus. Like this:

    open control-center
	->Session properties and startup programs
	->startup programs (tab)
	->browse currently-running programs...(button)
	->find and highlight (left-click on) "gmc --sm-config-blah blah"
	->change the "style" from Respawn to Normal (button at top)
	->click "remove".

	Bye-bye, gmc.

Now you have no file manager.

Start nautilus off the foot menu. Now you have nautilus.

You can't kill off gmc any more easily because of that "respawn" option.
That means "if I die, restart me immediately". The panel has that respawn
thing too. So killing off at the command line will just result in it
dying and respawning.

Telsa