Re: titeInhibit ignored by gnome-terminal ?

Jeff,

There's nothing worse than problem terminal settings.  I shy away
from X resourse solutions (in general too) because the final value
accepted is in the executable, and can not be overidden, if set there.

My approach is in the stty/tset and /etc/termcap area.  The latter
is the easiest for me.  In an emergency I setenv TERM to a non-existant
value which hopefuly causes a fallback to some default.  If you look
in /etc/termcap you should see strings beginning in column one that
are followed by a |.  These are the available values for the TERM
env.  Following the name is a bunch of parameter/setting pairs.  The
parameter name begins with a :.  Now, the :te parameter is the one
we DON'T want, in order to inhibit that flipping.

You can have your gnome-terminal invoked with the --login flag, and
then put setenv TERM <foobar> in your .login file.  Or, type setenv
TERM <foobar> as the first command.  This is for csh/bash/tcsh etc.
Korn syntax differs (no setenv).

---David