Re: middle mouse button to double-click

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 06:07:54PM -0700 or thereabouts, Dennis B wrote:

[Please send mail in plain text, btw. I have not snipped anything.
This is what my mailer found to quote :)]

Fortunately, I was able to use cut and paste. With the middle mouse
button :)

     Greetings;
     Does anyone know of a convenient way to set the
     middle mouse button to double-click and/or any
     good reasons why we maybe wouldn't want to though?
     Thank you and have a great day,

I'm not sure what you mean by "double-click". Perhaps "do a
double-click of the left mouse button"? I think this might be a
bad idea. I am not sure how it might be done, actually, unless
you are wanting to know something more complicated than altering
a line in your XF86Config file.

The middle mouse button tends to have more uses in X than I gather
the case is in Windows or MacOS.

In particular, it's used for cut and paste all over the place.

You select text with the left button.
You paste it with the middle button.

You can paste it repeatedly, too, until you select something new
with the left button. (I am sticking to left,right,middle because
using "button-1, button-2, button-3" apparently confuses people.
I think it makes things easier, myself, but oh well. I'm weird.)

Some other apps will use the middle button for other things.
When you move your mouse pointer over a link in Mozilla,
left-clicking on it will go to that page. But middle-clicking
will leave that window on the current page, open a new browser
window,  and go to the link in the new browser window.

Telsa