Cut-and-paste not working

I am using the gnome that comes with RedHat-7.1 (gnome-core 1.2.4-16).
Cut-and-paste does not seem to work between GNOME-terminals,
although it does work between X-terminals,
or from a GNOME-terminal to an X-terminal,
or from a GNOME-terminal to Netscape.
(In other words, it does not appear to _paste_ into a GNOME-terminal.)

Am I doing something wrong,
or does cut-and-paste work in some different way in GNOME?

I posted a similar query here a few weeks ago,
but didn't get any response.
I assumed that I had done something silly.
However, I got a couple of emails from people who had the same problem,
so presumably it is not just my setup,
which as far as I know is completely standard,
except perhaps that I have a 2-button mouse,
emulating 3 buttons ("Emulate3Buttone" "on" in XF86Config-4).

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim maths tcd ie