gnome sound problem with gdb

I'm running Linux 7.0 and Gnome/Gtk 1.2

I have a multithreaded application that reads the a/d
converter on the sound card (all such reads come from a single
thread).  It works fine as a text-based program.  I added a
simple Gnome-based front end to it, and it still works fine
(oh happy day!).  However, when I try to run it under gdb, the
system 'read' call that reads the a/d converter on the sound
card fails, returning -1 (errno is set to 5 -- input/output
error).

I've tried using --disable-sound, but that has no effect.  I
also tried calling gnome_sound_shutdown() after gnome_init,
but that had no effect either.

It seems to me that this problem is definitely related to
gnome.  Does anybody out there have any ideas?

Paul Silvis