gal & iconv

Hi. I try building gal from cvs, but I get

checking for iconv in -liconv... no
checking for iconv... no
configure: error: You need to install a working iconv implementation, such
as http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html

which is strange because of

/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2
/usr/local/include/giconv.h
/usr/local/include/iconv.h

which are all recently built. Extracting the source from configure for the
test and compiling it with
cc -O2 -g -I. -I/usr/local/include /tmp/iconv.c
gives me the following error:

/tmp/ccu73494.o: In function `main':
/tmp/iconv.c(.text+0x14): undefined reference to `iconv_open'

And the strangest thing is that ./configure --without-iconv gives the same
error as above. Does anyone know what I have to do to make gal?

Cheers

  Nik