Slow Gnome-one fix

I posted this a little while ago but it never seemed to make it to the list
so I'll try again. I had an error with Gnome a while ago that slowed down
mapping of windows and starting Gnome itself. The error I'd see on logging
out of Gnome was "cannot bind port 16001". Thanks to someone else who
answered a similar question (sorry I don't remember who as I deleted the
posting from my box) I found the problem stemmed from ESD.
What caused the problem to begin with I still haven't figured out.
Everything used to work fine and then one day it just got slow. Anyhow,
what I found was there is a switch in /etc/esd-config causing esd to try
and bind to the wrong port, or a non-existant port (16001). My original
/etc/esd-config was:
[esd]
auto_spawn=1
spawn_options=-tcp -terminate -nobeeps -as 2

By removing the "-tcp" from the last line everything has gone back to
normal. My new line:

spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 2

Again, I have no idea how this problem started. I can only assume that the
-tcp switch was there all along, as the creation and modification dates
where the same. I have not changed any of the Gnome programs or support
libs. Perhaps someone else might know why. But it did fix the problem and
there has been no ill side-effects. esd and Gnome are once again happily
humming along.
I am posting this in case it can help anybody else.
And by the way, this is on a Mandrake 7.2 system from store bought CD's.
Regards,
	Woodrow

--
Computers don't make mistakes, they just
execute them with extreme precision!