GDM to handle expired password

Hi,

Is there a way to handle logging in using gdm to handle a password that
needs to be changed? I set up new accounts such that the user must change
the password at first login and gdm doesn't seem to have a mechanism to
prompt the user for a new password. It just won't let the user log in and
this requires having to log in remotely to change the password. I think
I've seen this sort of mechanism on DEC unix (maybe), where there's a
console messages window showing on the screen as well as the regular login
box.

I run a lab of diskless linux workstations that display a login chooser to
the main servers, and a feature like this would be a big help.

Thanks,

--
John S. Weber

System Administrator