can't specify icon

I'm running debian woody, sawfish, Xfree-4 with some helix gnome (not
sure which version numbers would be helpful) and I cannot specify icons.
All I get is the default application icon. Doesn't matter whether I try
when creating the launcher or if I try to modify the properties later.

--
People are beginning to realize that the apparatus of government
is costly. But what they do not know is that the burden falls