Re: Screen resolution

Sorry Jörgen I got misled once more and did not use reply all...

Hi, there could be a couple of problems:
virtual resolution i.e. you take a lower resolution and only can only view part of the screen
(moving sliders is not the most practical thing...)
Your question really belongs to newbie.XFree86.org.
However I'll try to answer it.
Depending whether you are running 3.3.6 or 4.x.x (do X -version to find out) we are speaking of
/etc/X11/XF86Config (3.3.6 and or 4.x.x with some distros) or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (4.x.x most
distros)
1. back up the relevant file
2. run Xconfigurator if you have it (it may be RH specific) or XFree86 -configure if you don't
) in the latter case /root/XF86Config.new will be generated, you will have to rename it and move
it to /etc/X11
3. Other possibility hack your XF86Config[-4] file
you will find a screen section looking as follows
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Your Screen Identifier"
	Device		"Your Graphic Device Identifier"
	Monitor		"Your Monitor Identifier"
	DefaultDepth	24  # or whatever you default is, usually 16 or 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" # etc...
	EndSubSection
EndSection

The default resolution is the first, if no virtual definition is defined the largest resolution is
taken as the virtual resolution in the example you would have 1024x768 as a virtual resolution,
switching to 800x600 would give you only part of the screen you would have to use the sliders to
move to what is not displayed.
Another point: I believe you must use the + and the - of the numeric pad in the Ctrl Alt + and
Ctrl Alt - to switch between resolutions...
I just have one (much simpler)
Lionel