GMC internal viewer problems

Hi,
I am using gmc-4.5.51-32 on a RH 7.1. I need to use the internal gmc viewer
(it's the only one that has served my purpose so far) to view ASCII print
files.  On text shell I use mc -v /the_file and it works perfectly, but when
I try gmc -v /the_file or gmc --view=/the_file, I don't get the viewer but
the normal gmc window instead.
I need to be able to start the gmc viewer from the command line.  Can this
be accomplished.  Am I using the wrong opptions?
Thanks,
Carlos E. Saldarriaga