Changing the Gnome destop background from a script or cron

So, I have a shell script that calls a perl script that picks a random
file from a given directory and copies it to a target file name.
I have discovered that "nautilus -q" run from the command line will
cause nautilus to restart, so the shell script calls that after the perl
script.  If you set your background to the target file, and add a cron
entry for that script, your background changes every time cron runs
the script.

James