Re: gdm

You can go ahead and remove gdm.  Those other packages listed aren't
real packages.  They're 'meta' packages used to install all the needed
files.

Also, it's been a while since I've used Ximian packages, but on Debian
(which I'm assuming you're on) the testing/unstable GDM packages *may*
be more recent, and might have the bug you're experiencing fixed.

I don't really know what enhancements Ximian makes to their packages,
but Debian guys have excellent GNOME packages (even for, say,
red-carpet) and in unstable branch they're usually way more up to date
than Ximian (at least in past Ximian has been slow, I don't know about
now).  I'd suggest using those packages if you run into lots of bugs
from out dated software.