Fwd: Re: The future of gnome-pim - and Balsa, too?

--- Begin Message ---
Hello! Time to add my 2 cents worth...

> Why does the Palm and every other PIM support E-mail, calendar, contact
> info, and task lists?  Because these all fall into the same problem
> domain,  I'd be happy if Evolution and Gnome Meeting / telephony merged.

I'd be sorry if that happened... then I could no longer choose my favorite mail
client, contact manager, calender and chat programs... I would be forced to use
"one size fits all" programmes just like on windows, and I would again be
forced to switch operating system... (I'm an old Amigan, and still is at heart!)

> >emulating MS Windows behaviour. Why? Aren't we all using Linux/Unix because
> >Windows is crap???

Well, partly, but really because that in the Linux world I can choose what
applications I want to run to do the task at hand...

Say in windoze you have winzip, winrar, winace, win-whatever that are combined
filemanagers, archivers, packers and crypters... In Linux I can choose what
archiver I think is best for my task (tar, ar, cpio) pack it with whatever I
want (usually gzip or bzip) and crypt it if I want to with a dozen of
programmes, without having the same code several times on my harddrive and not
choosing an archiver because of the packer that comes with it...

That is, in its native form, not user friendly, but using these components, one
can easily emulate a winzip like environment, without too much code.. and
spread out the code for everyone to use... and newbes can use that "winzip"
program by simply installing the package, and not wondering about "what lies
beneeth"

What I want to say is, that the UNIX way is that of the best tool for the job,
not a bloated "one size" tool that does everything badly but in a userfriendly
way...

What is yet to come in a big way (I still hope for Gnome and CORBA) is a way to
easily integrate these tools into "nice" userinterfaces without sacrificing
what lies beneeth...

- Mads "Mazzachre" Randstoft

--- End Message ---