Re: Portable.NET and Ximian...

Hello,

On 01 Aug 2001 14:48:52 -0400, Michael Weichert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe someone can answer this question for me, is Portable.NET and
> Ximian competition to each other, they seem to be working on similar
> projects?
>
> It so, that's ashame - they should work together....

They are doing pretty much the same thing.  I'm not really
sure why they couldn't work together, but I think it was
a (programming) language issue.  (Ximian wanted to code
alot of it in C#, and Portable.NET was doing it in C.)
But I think there is more to it than that... I don't
know the `full story'.

I should say that Portable.NET has become part of the DotGNU
project <http://DotGNU.org/>.

In case you don't know what DotGNU is... I should say, Ximian's
mono is a clone of .NET... where it would be best to describe
DotGNU by saying...

     DotGNU is to .NET, and GNU/Linux is to Windows

DotGNU is not a clone, but a new system... in the
same way that GNU/Linux and Windows are similar
technologies (both Operating Systems)... but they
are still different.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux