Re: Gnome 1.4 Woes

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Matt Nelson wrote:

> 2) Gnome seems to be confused about what should be on my desktop when I
> log in.  Last night was an example:  I closed all programs I was
> running, and, to be safe, saved my session.  I then logged out.  This
> morning when I logged in, Gnome fired off 9 xterms, the control panel,
> gmc, VMWare, and 2 Pine sessions, when it should have just given me an
> empty desktop.

I'm not so much pleased with the new Helix Gnome either.

o I usually use about 8 virtual screens. Now when I position my terminals
  on the screens, logout, and login again, then the position of all my
  terminals on the virtual screens get changed. And this is very annoying
  when you work with 20-30 terminals like me. I have sent a bug report
  about this problem about a half year ago (bug# 2984) but I never got a
  response.
  This is one of the reasons why I'm considering to try KDE because it's
  annoying to setup the terminals on my screens each time when I login.
  My solution so far was to go into GNOME's configuration files and
  set x,y for each terminal.

o When I selected "Settings" (Control Center), "Theme Selector", and
  changed the theme then the size of my terminal windows are getting
  changed too.
  Yesterday I had an incidence where _all_ my terminals from all the
  virtual screens were moved to the first virtual screen.
  My desktop got really messed up very badly. So you better stay away
  from the "Theme Selector".

Werner