Re: Needed Libraries

Brett Castleberry stated the following:

> >>         Interesting.  I have a broken gnorpm 0.95.1-6.6x, which I tried to fix by
> >> installing gnorpm 0.96, but got a message that it needed libbz2.so.1.
> >> Attempting to install the bzip2 1.0.1 package, I was told that
> >> libbz2.so.0 was needed by rpm 4.02 et al..
> >>         I'm no expert, and it may be that my RH6.2 is not easily upgradeable to
> >> new versions of apps that are built for RH7.x.  Fwiw, I found, at
> >> length, a message on upgrading to rpm 4.x that may be of use to others,
> >> at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rpm-list/message/11384
>
> Did the instructions in the message work for you, then?  It sounded kind
> of hairy, and I haven't had time to work through it yet.  I tried "rpm
> --rebuilddb" and got a segfault.  I feel like Red Hat has done a great
> disservice by moving rpm to a new database and not letting everyone know
> how to make the transition.

This is the RPM update on *RedHat* 5.2, 6.2, 7.0.  The instructions
point to the versions and the steps needed.

The following files are needed to start the process in the html-s:

rpm-3.0.5-9.6x, glibc-2.1.3-22

First Step:

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHEA-2001-015.html

Second Step:

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHEA-2001-016.html

Additional Advisory (much like your link with additional
correspondence):

http://www.execpc.com/~bgkuhn/linux/upgrade_to_rpm_4.html

rpm --rebuilddb is done as the last step.  rpm -Uvh (instead of -Fvh)
with the rpms also works.

Note: If you like -- you can backup /var/lib/rpm directory.

Signed,
SoloCDM