My ximian gnome 1.4 impressions

Just installed it (install/upgraded rpms by hand), here are my
impressions.
(celeron 666Mhz, 256 mb ram)

ximian-doorman helped me migrate some of my settings, but it only kept
background and Favorites
menu, applets on the panel were gone.

Played with nautilus a little, looking nice. It creates a .thumbnails in
a directory with images, but I don't like it when I only want to see an
image or two, and
then move/delete them. Also I saw it keeps a list with .thumbnails
directories it created.
Why ? (I hope it will use .thumbnails even if it was created by someone
else)
Nice if one could turn thumbnails creating off (just scan all files to
show thumbnails, but don't
write anything).

After I closed nautilus, my CPU was used 60% by it, so I killed the
process and removed nautilus completly
b/c of this.
Switch back to gmc, but it created desktop icons (Trash , cd-rom etc) so
I've removed that too.
At another login ximian-doorman was using all my cpu, so it went away
too.

Now it's nicer. I don't like Ximian programs menu, which duplicates
gnome programs menu (in an ugly way).
If Ximian has some applications, like red-carpet and others, put them
there, but don't put there stuff like XMMS.
Ximian isn't GNOME.

Nicer defaults would be great (small icons in menus, desktop guide
behave like in 1.2 - have one big desktop,
then if I press alt+f2 make 2 smaller desktops and grow as needed)

I wish all my gnome settings (menus, applets, background etc) should be
kept in one xml file (with gconf ?) and
when I go to another computer just put that xml file there and here I
have it, like at home.

Overall, it's good. Thanks to gnome team!

Marius Andreiana
--
Earth is the cradle of mankind, but man cannot live in the cradle forver