esound-0.2.8 / audiofile-0.2.0 compilation problems

Hi folks,

I'm trying to install Gnome from scratch via source on a Slackware Linux
7.1 system. But I've run into a problem that I was hoping someone could
help me wiht.

I've downloaded all the source tarballs, extracted them and built them in
the required order etc. And everything has been going nicely until I get to
esound.

When I run ./configure for esound-0.2.8 it has the following error message.
--- Checking for the audiofile library.  NOTE: This library is now
REQUIRED from proper compilation of the esound package.
checking for audiofile-config... (cached) no
checking for AUDIOFILE - version >= 0.1.5... no
*** The audiofile-config script installed by AUDIOFILE could not be found
*** If AUDIOFILE was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the AUDIOFILE_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to audiofile-config.
--- ERROR: The audiofile library was not found on your system.
--- The audiofile library may be obtained from your favourite
--- gnome distribution center, or check the audiofile web page at:
--- http://www.68k.org/~michael/audiofile/
--- NOTE: The audiofile library is now REQUIRED for esound.

Now I thought I had successfully installed audofile 0.2.0.

I've done a bit of checking and the audiofile libs are definetely installed
in /usr/local/lib, the audiofile-config script is also definetely installed
in usr/local/bin.

/usr/local/lib is in ld.so.conf and I did restart between installing
audiofile and trying to configure esound. So the library stuff is getting
updated.

So any clues on what is going wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards