Re: Gnome through x windows?

Yes in theory, there is no problem. Just launch your X server on the
win32, then run gnome from the unix station by gining it the good
display.
But be warn that Exceed is not a true X server. It has a special mode to
run X connections through dialup links. You should have to disable that
stuff (because gnome was not compiled with such clients, and exceed push
an extra application on the client side -- if I remember well).
Nevertheless, I already did it without major problems with some others
Win32 Xservers.
Just give it a try ...

Good luck

PS:
There are basicly two main kind of X servers for Win32. The ones which
open a big window materializing your display, and the ones that use your
Windows desktop as display (using Win23API as a kind of "window
manager"). Gnome should easily be run on the formers, but the laters
will forbid you to launch any window manager. Instead you be able to
have a panel and a desktop manager (as Nautilus or Gmc).