NIS and gdm

Hi All,
I've got a network here that we're trying to set up to use NIS for
remote logins.  The problem is that some of the client machines use gdm
(logging you into run level 5) but the server logs you into the command
line (run level 3).  I was wondering if anyone knew how to either let
gmd probe for the run level it should be loging into or if there was a
way to put a script into the Sessions folder to log you into the command
line?  Any help or pointers to documentation about run levels would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy