forcing configure to use /opt/gnome

Well I've decided to download the entire gnome 1.4 release and install
everything to /opt/gnome.  The first package audiofile built ok,
installed libraries to /opt/gnome/lib and informed me if I want to link
against them I have to add -lLIBDIR when linking and add /opt/gnome/lib
to ld.so.conf.

So my question is how do I add -lLIBDIR without editing the Makefiles.
I invoked the next configure like this
./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome --libdir=/opt/gnome/lib --with-gnu-ld

Will that do the trick?  It still seems to be referencing /usr/lib and
it queried /usr/bin/audiofile-config rather than
/opt/gnome/bin/audiofile-config.

Thanks,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
 5:35PM  up 23 days,  1:18, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.02, 0.08