kezbindings *!sic(

As you can see from the subject, I have a german keyboard
but something went wrong during the Redhat 6.1 installation and
my keyboard mapping came out wrong (US layout).

Now I'm seeking for the location in the system, where centrally
for all users a german keyboard mapping can be adjusted for the
Gnome session.

In the same vein, I would like to know, where I can put a central gnome
desktop setting that is available for all users (allowing this possibly
distributed via NIS).

I added KEYTABLE="de-latin1" in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard already
which corrects things for vty mode but this doesn't seem to
have any effect on the gnome session.

3 out of the 5 machines I installed were configured with the german key
mapping though at the password prompt in the gdm prompter the mapping
still seems to be still US.

Administrativa: