Re: Rename desktop icon mount points??

Glenn wrote:

> Hi Sydney,
>
> That just it, there is no way to rename them that I could find.
>
> Glenn
> -----
>
> Sydney Weidman wrote:
> >
> > Glenn wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've gone through all the FAQs archives and Deja news and surprisingly,
> > > to me anyway, I haven't found that this question has been asked.
> > >
> > > Using: Latest Helix, Sawtooth, Redhat 6.2
> > >
> > > I would like to be able to rename the desktop icons. Right now they
> > > appear as disk 1, disk 2,..., floppy 1, floppy 2. etc. I would like them
> > > to appear as my mount points as defined in my fstab file and not these
> > > new names for which I have no recognition. The naming, at least what I
> > > could find, is only in a binary file meta?.db.
> > >
> > > Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> >
> > The quickest (and ugliest) solution is just to rename them. There's
> > probably a configuration file somewhere that controls how the icons are
> > named, but I couldn't tell you where it is.
> >
> > If the mount point information is available to the diskusage applet,
> > there's no reason why gmc can't use it. There must be some simple code
> > tweak that would provide such a feature as an option.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Syd.

To rename a desktop icon, you have to

	1. Single-click on the icon in the root window (your "desktop" on
	   which the icons appear)

	2. Single-click on the label underneath the icon. You should now
	   see a blinking cursor inside the label.

	3. Use backspace and/or arrow keys to navigate and edit the label.
	   Don't worry if the label seems to disappear when you delete all
	   the text, just type your new name.

	4. Press enter (or click somewhere else) when you are done to make
	   the change permanent.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Syd.