Problems compiling from source.

Sorry peeps.

Never before have I had so much hassle in compiling a source package.
Trying to get the latest version of Gnome up and running is proving
increasingly frustrating :-(

All the gnome-libs compile fine. I have used recent versions of all
(if not the latest stable ones). All install into the default
locations, all compiled with CFLAGS=-O2.

Problems start when compiling control-center (reported elsewhere by
others). This I temporarily hacked, with the intention of sorting out
later. However, unlike Frank Hale, the problem was not solved by
using gnome-libs-1.2.3 ('cos thats what I had to begin with!) And,
AFAICT, everything that should be there is there, in the right place.
ldconfig run after each completed install stage.

Then, more seriously, gnome-core compilation failed. Errors
reproduced below.

This is causing me serious problems. ./configure runs fine, reporting no
problems. Can anyone point me in any direction to solve this? I've been at this
problem for over a week solid now. and I don't like giving up!

Base setup : Slackware 7.0
Kernel: 2.2.16
Alsa sound support: 0.5.9c
Esd: 0.2.18

during make (of control-center)
sound-properties.c: in function `reload_esd_samples':
sound-properties.c:826: > undefined reference to `esd_sample_getid'
sound-properties.c:828: > undefined reference to `esd_sample_free'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

during make (of gnome-core)
applet-widget.c: In function `server_applet_save_session':
applet-widget.c:1683: warning: implicit declaration of function
`GNOME_PanelSpot _done_session_save'
applet-widget.c: At top level:
applet-widget.c:1989: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
applet-widget.c:1990: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
make[3]: *** [applet-widget.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnome/gnome-core-1.2.1/panel'

-- Regards,                   Semper in faecibus sumus
           Man.               sole profundum variat.