Re: RPM chicken or egg problem

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On 09/18/00 11:04:58 +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss <on_the_net clear net nz>
> wrote:
> +-----
> | >  Important note: run rpm --rebuilddb just after upgrading to rpm4,
> | >the database format changed and this is aboslutely needed if you
> | >don't want to screw your rpm database (who does ?) !
> |
> | Now why doesn't the rpm post install script do this?
> +--->8
>
> RPM is running when the postinstall script executes, so the database is
> locked and therefore can't be rebuilt.  (Speaking of chicken-or-egg
> problems....)

May be a postpostinstall script?

Just kidding, scripts in RPM are a Bad Thing, IMHO.

> --
> brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]    allbery kf8nh apk net
> system administrator        [WAY too many hats]          allbery ece cmu edu
> electrical and computer engineering                                    KF8NH
> carnegie mellon university      ["better check the oblivious first" -ke6sls]

	Saludos!
	Greetings!

--
Arturo Tena
arturo directmail org

"we share our source code with others in the hopes that programmers overall can
make more progress by building on each other's works than by trying blindly to
replicate what was done decades ago"
   Philip Greenspun (http://www.photo.net/wtr/thebook/suck.html)