Re: better name for gtk+

Loban Rahman wrote:

> > > What I've always wondered is where did the '+' come from?
> > >
> > Gtk+ is the improved version of Gtk. I don't think Gtk ever saw the light of
> > day outside the GIMP.
>
> No.

Erm... yes. RTFM: From the FAQ -

"I originally wrote gtk which included the three libraries, libglib,
libgdk and libgtk. It featured a flat widget hierarchy. That is, you
couldn't derive a new widget from an existing one. And it contained a
more standard callback mechanism instead of thesignal mechanism now
present in gtk+. The + was added to distinguish between the original
version of gtk and the new version. You can think of it as being an
enhancement to the original gtk that adds object oriented features."

1.5 Does the G in GTK+, GDK and GLib stand for?

GTK+ == Gimp Toolkit

GDK == GTK+ Drawing Kit

GLib == G Libray

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
PhD Research Student
School of Computing, Curtin University of Technology
email: keithmag cs curtin edu au OR russ magee computer org
WWW:   http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~keithmag
Ph: +61 8 9266 2129    FAX +61 8 9266 2819
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.