StartX problem under Gnome.

StartX problem

I am running Red Hat Linux 6.2 on my 200 Mhz pentium system
with 96 Mbytes RAM and a 2 gig hard drive.

System had been up and running 4 + days without a failure,
using GNOME, Netscape 4.75 and a DSL connection through eth0
device connected to a router.

Xscreensaver version 3.23 was installed with the Red Hat
Package Manager (RPM) and I wanted the latest version. I
went to the Xscreensaver website and successfully downloaded
version 3.25 with instructions to unzip, compile and install
the version. It was successful.

I clicked on the GNOME toolbox to set values on the new
screensaver, and received an error message that the old
(3.23) version was in place and might cause conflicts.

I left the dialog box and went to an x-term window to reboot
at the user level which I can do under the current version.
I entered my user password and witnessed a reboot that
needed to execute a “fsck” command for device hda5. It
seemed successful.

After reboot, I entered at the user level, as I normally do,
and tried to open X-windows with “StartX” and got the
following screens prior to the Xwindow failure to start.

(--)SVGA: clgd5446: Using BitBLT engine
(**)SVGA: clgd5446: Using memory-mapped I/O
(--)SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)
(--)SVGA: XAA: Solid Filled rectangles
(--)SVGA: XAA: Screen-to-screen copy
(--)SVGA: XAA: CPU to screen color expansion (bitmap,
stipple, TE/NonTE imagetext, TE/NonTE polytest)
(--)SVGA: XAA: using 9 128x45 areas for pixmap caching
(--)SVGA: XAA: Caching tiles and stipples
(--)SVGA: XAA: horizontal and vertical lines and segments

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>Error  bad length in Geometry
>   Output fild “/var/tmp/server-0.km” removed
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Couldn’t load XKB keymap, Falling back to pre-XKB keymap
_FontTransSocketYNIXConnect:Can’t connect: errno = 111
failed to set default path ‘unix/:-1’
Fatal server error:
could not open default font ‘fixed’

When reporting a problem related to a server crash please
send
the full server output, not just the last messages
Xconnection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).
[john kohler john]$