Sound recording and format transfer

I wanted to ask for recommendations for a program(s) that I can use that will record from the line-in on my Soundblaster sound card,
and then I want to convert the format so that I can burn them onto a ROM.

I already have a ROM burner program, I am looking for a program that will do the recording and if necessary another program to convert
it to whatever format would be put onto a CD for playing in a CD player. What is this format anyway?

I've got some cassettes I've made years ago that I want to put onto CDs.

I'm running Red Hat 7 and the Gnome (Helix) desktop. The Gnome site has got several programs and I'm trying to figure out what would
be best.

							Thanks
							Sean
--