Re: gnome-list digest, Vol 1 #349 - 15 msgs

> Message: 13
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:51:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Josh Steiner <joschi eds org>
> To: Gnomers <gnome-list gnome org>
> Subject: deskguide crashes
>
> Since the addition of the pretty little images in the deskguide applet, it
> crashes a lot, at seemingly random times.  is this a known issue, or
> should i send a stack trace?

> Josh "Yoshi" Steiner - josh xiphoidprocess com - http://eds.org/~joschi
>
> Xiphoid Process Records - http://xiphoidprocess.com
> San Francisco based electronic music.
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 14
> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:04:02 -0400
> To: Josh Steiner <joschi eds org>
> Cc: Gnomers <gnome-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: deskguide crashes
> Gnomers <gnome-list gnome org>
> From: Ian Peters <itp helixcode com>
>
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 01:51:10PM -0700, Josh Steiner wrote:
> > Since the addition of the pretty little images in the deskguide applet, it
> > crashes a lot, at seemingly random times.  is this a known issue, or
> > should i send a stack trace?
>
> Josh, I think this should be fixed in the latest gnome-core release.
> What version are you using?

No, no it crashes all right even with latest gnome-core.
(well, not frequently, just did it once for me earlier in the morning)
I'm using  gnome-core-1.2.3-0_helix_1,
gnome-applets-1.2.3-0_helix_1
under RH7.0

By the way why is deskguide SO inefficient when it renders window
content ?  On my machine, in default configuration,
it eats more CPU than window (sawfish) manager and
almost as much (2/3 of) CPU as X server itself. This is almost laughable.
In comparison, pager which comes with enlightment (even spiffier
than deskguide) seems to be much less CPU hungry.

                Regards, Dmitri Pogosyan