Gnome xscreensaver package, XFree86, or what?

I'm trying to figure out why the xscreensaver graphics "hack" still runs
after the monitor has turned off by the power saving settings.  Gnome
settings have the xscreensaver running a random program and then turning
off the monitor.  The monitor does turn off.  I know the screensaver
hack is running by logging in from other machines and looking at the
output from ps -ef. This is a RedHat 7 machine with HelixCode Gnome
installed and xscreensaver-3.25-4.

>From the output of xdpyinfo I confirm that DPMS is supported. At first I
thought it was something wrong with DPMS support in xscreensaver, but
I'm now thinking it is something wrong in the way gnome sets up these
programs or (more likely) in XFree itself.

Here is why I think there could be something wrong with the X server
itself.  When the monitor goes off,  I log in from another machine, and
at the bottom of the output from "xset q" I see this
 DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 1260
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

Shouldn't it say Off, if the monitor is powered down by DPMS?  If so, I
can understand why xscreensaver never gets the message the monitor is
off, and so the eye candy keeps running.

At this point, I would appreciate some confirmation of this diagnosis
and a pointer or two on how I should investigate further.  All of this
is new to me.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu