Re: Java running slow in Gnome

%% Ben Taylor <sol7x86 hotmail com> writes:

  >> I am having problems running Java aplications within Gnome on
  >> solaris (SPARC).  The apps run fine under windows and CDE on
  >> solaris. Anybody have any ideas??  I am running Java2 apps with
  >> Swing GUIs?

  bt> Which window manager are you running? IME, java sometimes
  bt> doesn't play well with window managers.

IME, too.

  bt> You may have hit a WM bug exercised by java.

Just as likely as a WM bug is that the problem is a result of Java being
unpleasantly chummy with the Motif window manager.  We've run into this
a few times in FVWM development, where Java apps didn't behave according
to ICCCM standards, but worked fine in mwm.

Unfortunate, that, for a supposedly completely portable environment.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith baynetworks com>         Network Management Development