Re: OFF topic

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 03:52:56PM +0300 or thereabouts, luc wrote:
> Does anybody know a rpm-4 [binaries ftp/web download. add.]
> archived with rpm-3 or tar.gz.

I don't quite understand what you're asking.

If you have a package which was built with rpm-4.0 and your machine
currently uses rpm-3.x, then you need to get rpm-3.0.5 or rpm-3.0.6.
These will deal with packages built with rpm-4.0 without your having
to do masses of upgrading of other things.

You will find rpm-3.0.5/6 packages on your vendor's web or ftp site.

There is also a www.rpm.org site with a famously out-of-date main
web page but a rather more up to date ftp.rpm.org and cvs.rpm.org.

You will find rpm-3.0.5 or 6 in ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/3.0.x/

There is also a 4.0.x directory, but I really wouldn't just grab the
rpm-4.0 and attempt to install it. It uses a lot of things which have
also been updated, so you'll need those too; and I have heard stories
about people simply grabbing that and then having rpmdb disasters.

This is not a GNOME question, although I fear it may yet end up in
the FAQ. You may have better luck on a list devoted to the distribution
you are running, a list of which -is- in the GNOME FAQ.

http://www.gnome.org/faqs/users-faq/resources.html

Telsa