RE: Gnome Under Solaris 7

I have also been bitten by this bug and I think I have a fix for it -- well,
kinda, it's not perfect, but worked for me.
Anyway, below is a snippet of my e-mail to gnome-core maintainer
(jacob helixcode com), dated 08/04/00:

-- Hi,
--
-- I have ben hit by bug #12942 in gnome-session - my machine is a pretty
new
-- sun4u with Solaris 7 11/99 distribution. This prevented me from using
GNOME
-- on this box for quite some time. Eventually I got to debugging the
problem
-- and found [a sort of] workaround.
-- The workaround is to re-enable the call to
-- IceListenForWellKnownConnections() and use it instead of
-- IceListenForConnections() (patch attached - gsm.solaris.patch). However,
bug
-- #8549 says the IceListenForWellKnownConnections() does not always exist
in
-- the ICE library, so this patch is not an universal solution. Perhaps a
check
-- in the autoconf script should be introduced ?
--
-- I still don't know why IceListenForConnections() crashes (maybe it is
-- plainly a bug in Solaris version of ICE), but it crashes even in a

The guy has promissed to integrate my patch, but seemingly he isn't done yet
:).

/v\ark R. Bowyer.    http://Moredhel.i.am    mailto:Mark Bowyer UK Sun COM
`-'  "Micro$oft have performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"