Re: help

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 06:31:28PM +0200 or thereabouts, luc00 wrote:
> Hi
> I'm kind of newbee in using gnome.[I'm using Mandrake 7.1]
> When I want to make [after ./configure OK] libraries like : gtm-0.4.5.;
> gtkmm-1.2.3.; gtkhtml-0.6.1 there is an error like missing file
> applet-widget.h or capplet-widget.h .
> I tried find them and there are not in other directories.
> rpmfind.net didn't show them.

rpmfind will only search for package names, rather than files that
come inside packages. Unfortunately, 'make' will only complain that
a file is absent. It has no way of knowing which package put it there
(it can't even be sure it came from a package: the programmer might
just have finished writing it.. :))

Short answer: you probably want to install the control-center-devel
package.

Long answer:

What's happened here is that the tarballs for things get packaged
into rpms. And the way rpm (and I think the deb system) works is that
it takes the sources, and splits them into two parts:

	foo-1.0-1.i386.rpm	This is what you need to -run- the thing.
	foo-devel-1.0-1.i386.rpm	This is what you need if you're
				going to compile something else that
				uses bits of the code from "foo". You
				don't need it just to run it.

If you grab yourself a source rpm, and do this with it, you'll see
at the end of a very long list of output:
	Wrote /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/foo-1.0-1.i386.rpm
	Wrote /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/foo-devel-1.0-1.i386.rpm

(Something like that: I know you said Mandrake, but the general
idea is the same: the filenames are different, that's all.)

The bits that get put in the -devel part are typically files called
"header files" which have a .h on the end of their names. These are
completely unnecessary if all you're doing to do is just run the
program. They can take up unnecessary space. When I did an install
on a very small disk, the first thing I did was to remove X and
everything that required it, the second thing was to remove all
the docs, and the third thing was to remove every -devel package I
could see :)

So you have these programs, and they depend on using the header files
capplet-widget.h. So to fix it, you need to know which -devel package
produces it. And I don't know a good way to find out when it's not
already installed, except to ask someone with a fairly complete
installation to use 'locate' to find the file and then to use
'rpm -qf /full/path/to/file' to find out what it came from. Here's
what I get:

$ rpm -qf `locate capplet-widget.h`
control-center-devel-1.2.1-5

If you do a lot of installing and compiling from tarballs (the
"./configure; make; su; make install" thing) then you are going
to meet a lot of -devel packages you need :)

Telsa