Re: Multiple Displays

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Tony Demark wrote:

> Problem:
> * Would like to have gnome fire up on both screens
> * While a 'panel' would be nice on both screens, is not necessary
> * I am not using graphical login. I log in and then 'startx' when necessary

I tried this a while back, and maybe someone here can tell us whether or
not it's possible.

As far as I could tell, GNOME doesn't really support multihead displays
(though Xinerama works mostly well).  With that information, I tried
running multiple gnome-sessions on different displays with a .Xclients
file sorta like:

#!/bin/sh

gnome-session --session default &
DISPLAY=:0.1 gnome-session --session display01

I don't remember what the proper arguments for gnome-session are,
sorry.  In theory, this should start one gnome session on the first head,
and a separate gnome session with different settings on the
second.  However, the second gnome session would just hang.

Is it possible to run two gnome sessions concurrently?  Or is the session
id feature intended for some other purpose?  How difficult would it be to
"fix" the sessions to run concurrently?

Just as an aside, in order for gnome to function properly in a multihead
configuration, the panel must launch on each display (preferably with
individual settings stored per-session).  If it does not, it's difficult
to launch applications heads other than the first.

MSG