help with dead gnome-panel?

I don't know if this is a bug or not but if someone could help me
out....

Running Sawfish - my gnome-panel died overnight leaving me 'panel-less'.

The panel was not restartable from the mouse-menus. I was unable to
access
any useful WindowManager functions and exited the X-session.

Now If I restart my X-session , after displaying the splash screen I
immediately get an error-box
telling me the panel has seg-faulted. If I close the error box it comes
back again.

I can not  run a proper X-session in this mode.
I can not switch WindowManagers or bring up the normal configuration
utilities that might help.

I am a bit stuck and would be grateful if anyone could pull me out of
this hole!!

cheers
Nick/Oxford