libunicode?

     gnumeric requires GAL, and GAL requires libunicode.  I downloaded
libunicode-0.7 by searching on freshmeat and installing it.  When I run
./configure in GAL, however, it still complains that it isn't there. I
looked at the configure script, and its criteria for the existance of
libunicode is that it be able to run unicode-config.  This program did
not exist in the libunicode distribution I downloaded.
     Where can I find a valid libunicode so that I can compile GAL?
     Please do not reply saying that I should use a package system.
I would prefer to compile things since using a package system always
breaks my system.

--
"There is no parameter that makes it impossible        Jack McKinney
     for you to perform still more excellently."       jackmc lorentz com