Re: Helix GNOME: libxml2?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 10:23:11AM +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> > On 27 Nov 2000 19:46:32 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> > > Why is there no RPM for libxml2 in the Helix GNOME distribution?
> >
> > Because nothing in GNOME needs it.
> > iain
>
> Doesn't Helix aim to support those of us who are developing Gtk/GNOME
> applications?

libxml2 is not part of the GNOME 1.x platform:
http://developer.gnome.org/status/roadmap.html

We're simply following the advice given there, which reads, in part,

  "We recommend that application developers do not use libraries until
  they are released as part of a platform, and we recommend that
  distributions do not ship libraries (or apps that link to them)
  until said libraries are part of a development platform."

If you have a serious need to begin developing against libxml2, I'm
sure you know how to download and compile it into a different prefix,
and compile and link against it.

--
Ian Peters
itp helixcode com