gdm crash & restart problem

Hi,

I have dug out some mutterings from during the summer while doing an online search about this, suggesting that it was a problem with xfs, although I can find no solution documented:

I was using X, gnome & enlightenment quite happily on my laptop until this morning, when the system refused to open its X - login screen (boots to runlevel 5), and appeared to be having some form of crisis in opening the right display context... at first, the login prompt under console comes up and then it starts to spawn gdm (from inittab), flashes, and goes back (very briefly) to the console login prompt, before restarting again, flashing .... etc.

I have no idea why it is crashing, but really have to get this sorted out, as I am trying it out as my primary machine for a period (got bored of windoze).

The only thing that has been added since the last restart of this machine was a stalled installation of Netscape 6. I don't know if this would cause this to start or not, but must assume so... although, it doesn't appear that the installer actually installed anything in the end!

any help with this would be most welcome.

Nick
Nick Holmes - Systems Manager
nick holmes bluewave com
Bluewave Ltd - Webspace Design and Management
http://www.bluewave.com
Tel. +44 (0)207 706 3500