RE: Re: Locking down the User Interface

On Tuesday, august 14th, Kevin Knerr wrote:
"......I'm currently working in tech support. The call center is filled
with
PCs running WinNT. Your desk is only yours for the time you
occupy
it--no guarantees you'll have the same desk next shift. Now granted,
IMHO, ops made a bad decision when they chose *not* to have
network
logins that would permit users to customize their look & feel and
have
it available at whatever station they logged in. At any rate, any time
an agent makes a change in system settings (font style/size, color
combinations, background) it's likely to be something distasteful or
even unusable for the next user. (8 pt Arial Narrow is *so* legible!)
Hence, policy is *no changes* -- not that it's enforceable by any
means
other than constant surveillance & reprimand......."

Sorry Kev, but this just proves the point. NT is not a proper
networking OS as long as it insists on storing user settings locally.
At my workplace we use NT as well, and even with roaming
profilles available, it *still* is a major hassle to enable user settings
to be stored on the network.

The point Guillermo and D-man made is that with NFS-mounted
/home partitions (or something similar), user settings could be
customized *without* giving up a uniform user interface to all,
because those users savvy enough to customize their own settings
would *not* leave the workstation with their settings; as soon as
they'd logged off, someone else logging on on the same machine
would get *his* personal settings (for most users this would mean
the deaults), because THEY ARE STORED ON THE NETWORK,
NOT LOCALLY!!!

Mart van de Wege