weird yp problem - taskbar and icons do not appear

Under Redhat 6.1 I have YP/NIS and amd installed and users can login
everywhere having their home directories on different machines etc. etc.

I have users in the range of 500 tp 600 (UID). When I change the id of
a user to e.g. 1600, do a make in /var/yp and chown -R 1600.1601 for example
for this newly changed user's home directory recursively then
this user can login via gdm on his home machine (where his homedirectory
resides physically) but he doesn't get a taskbar nor any icons on the desktop.
So to say, he gets a blank desktop.

When the same user then goes to a different machine where his homedirectory
is not physically and thus has to be mounted, he gets everything fine.

I havn't yet figured out if it has to do something the user id range
but I suspect it has to.

If the user has created a terminal window (xterm) before and has had saved
the session on exit, then he gets this xterm on the desktop but that's all.
Still no taskbar or icons.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku gil physik rwth-aachen de