Re: Global environment variables under Gnome?

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> People,
>
> A minor question just popped up recently: How do I set
> environment variables in Gnome? On my old setup (RH 6.2) it was
> just a question of adding the right export statements to /etc/profile,
> these somehow seemed to be inherited by my gnome session,
> however I recently switched to Debian 2.2 and it seems to handle
> this differently. I must specifically add a 'source /etc/profile' line to
> my user profile files, and it will only honor this from a terminal.

I think what's doing the trick with Red Hat Linux is the following line:

     #!/bin/bash -login

in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession, which makes sure the entire session is run under a
login shell, i.e. that /etc/profile is read. I don't know if this works on
Debian, though...

- Toralf