gdm/gnome-session messes up LANG settings

Recent versions of gdm and/or gnome-core seem to mess up my LANG
setting. The addition to Xsession which I made to undo the damage should
explain it all:

     # *** Fix language setup problems caused by gdm. - It sets
     GDM_LANG, whose
     #     contents are somehow put into LANG _after_ this script
     is executed when
     #     running GNOME session. Now, some of the values used will
     simply
     #     not work (they trigger "setLocale" error messages), and
     we certainly
     #     don't want to change LANG (which has a default value
     from "sysconfig"
     #     at this stage) when no language was selected from gdm
     menu.
     if [ "$GDM_LANG" = "(null)" -o "$GDM_LANG" = "en" ]
     then
       unset GDM_LANG
     fi

Can anyone explain what is going on here?

gdm and gnome-core versions are given by the following rpm query output:

% rpm -q gdm gnome-core
gdm-2.0beta4-0_helix_7
gnome-core-1.2.2.1-0_helix_1

- Toralf