Re: C++ and GNOME or Motif

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I am writing a program to read data from files, do various computations, then construct and display graphical depictions of the results. For example, I may need to depict a rotatable solid object, with shape or colors changing in time to reflect statistical trends in the data. I program in C++, and plan to use OpenGL for the graphics. I will work in Linux but need the program to be as portable as possible to other *nixs using other windowing environments.

I have no Unix programming experience, leave alone X Windows, Motif, etc. A little research has shown that Motif is being superseded by GTK+, etc.

Two reasons I want to use Motif: there is a good book on using OpenGL with X Windows/Motif (Kilgard, I think); and it is pretty universal.

The reason I may not want to use Motif: I've been told that it is very unfriendly, because of the nature of it's event loop, to object-oriented programming.

I don't understand the latter issue, and I guess that's what I'm trying to understand.

Thanks
Jim