gmc and url's not working

Greetings,

I recently downloaded gmc from helix (gmc-4.5.49-0_helix_1,
mc-4.5.49-0_helix_1 and associated gnome libs) and am having a problem
opening url's.  url's on the desktop work fine, displaying their "Caption" as a
name and opening in Netscape, however url's in a gmc window display their
filename (i.e. urlSoWx, etc.) and won't open when double clicked - the "Select
an application..." dialog pops up and even then selecting Netscape doesn't work
as desired, it tries to open the filename as a url (i.e. you get: No such
domain: urlzpSoWx ).  To reiterate here:  If I drag the file onto the desktop
things are fine, but if in a gmc window they aren't (and yes, this /includes/
opening a window on ~/.gnome-desktop/).   The default url handler is set to
gnome-moz-remote --newwin "%s".  This is a rather annoying problem since being
able to drag url's from Netscape into folders and then open them is probably the
main reason that I'd use gmc (and no, dragging them from their folders onto the
desktop and then opening them is not an acceptable workaround.)

I'm sorry if this has come up before, but if it has I couldn't find it if it.
I did find a similar problem on the list back in Feb.
(http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/gnome-list/2000-February/036618.html) but the
question appears to have never been answered (or am I just missing it - sorry
if I am.  Is there some way to search the archives that I'm missing?)

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark

P.S. Two feature requests:

         - Put "Show Hidden Files" on the toolbar or a "view" pulldown, and
            not in preferences (see, i.e. kfm).

         - Add a preference for single/double mouse clicks.