Hose name failure on localhost

I'm new to GNOME.  When I start an error message appears which is
disturbing:

"Could not look up internet address for foo [the name of my main
computer].  This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.  It may be
possible to correct the problem by adding xyz to /etc/hosts.

the relevant line of /etc/hosts reads:

127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.0.1	foo.bar		foo
[similar for a couple of other hosts on my home network]

Does anyone have any ideas what isn't working?

--
The plot was designed in a light vein that somehow became varicose.
		-- David Lardner